In a hurry for a healthy meal with what’s on hand? Chicken is an easy answer, and by adding just five ingredients you can whip up a variety of delicious meals in minutes.
- I always keep some grilled chicken on hand - you can easily make in the toaster oven, or in a grill pan on the stovetop. Steam some broccoli, cauliflower and carrots and serve with couscous. It’s easy to put together, totally nutritious and tasty.
- An easy recipe that doesn’t require a lot of measuring is a good stir fry. Use your favourite vegetable or whatever is in season. Add a lean protein like a chicken breast, cut into strips. Serve it over brown rice with soya sauce. It’s a great dinner, satisfying and colourful.
- One of my favourites is a pasta bowl. Take any cooked long pasta and add roasted chicken and a marinara sauce. Serve it with a salad and you’ve got a tasty, quick, balanced meal.
- Try a chicken chilli supper. Cook ground chicken with some tomatoes and beans and serve it over a baked potato. Add a green salad and it’s another healthy, fast, satisfying supper.
- ‘Kitchen Sink Pasta’ takes advantage of the food you’ve already got in your kitchen. Cook a variety of vegetables with garlic, basil and salt-free broth then toss with cooked curly pasta and cooked chicken. Delicious!
These are some easy, go-to-meal ideas to add to your weekly meal plan. You can mix and match ingredients, depending on what you have on hand. Use these ideas to take advantage of seasonal vegetables and try a variety of whole grain pastas in all different shapes and sizes. These ideas all come together quickly and easily, making them perfect for weeknight meals.
Until next time, keep well,
Judy Foodie (Judy Scott Welden)