Over $25,000 raised for food banks across Canada – and innovative MP recipes spark debate!
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – June 12, 2012 (OTTAWA) — The Everyone Wins With Canadian Chicken contest, a social media-based campaign, was flooded with a whopping 72 MP entries, whose delicious and creative recipes are competing to help food banks across Canada!
Winners of the contest will receive, for a food bank in their riding:
• First Prize: $10,000 donation
• Second Prize: $5,000 donation
• Third Prize: $2,500 donation
The 72 entries were narrowed down to 13 (listed at the end of this release) and then to the final three, but not without a great deal of debate and discussion. Each entry was a clever reflection of cultural, regional and personal touches – making the decisions very difficult! This is why all 72 recipes will be rolled into a digital cookbook and made available on participating MP websites and at www.chicken.ca.
The final decision on the placement of the top 3 recipes will take place on Ottawa’s CTV Morning Live on Wednesday, June 13th. The on-air cook-off of the top 3 recipes will reveal the winner live.
Here are the final three:
• Vic Toews, MB (Pesto Chicken Philly Melt)
• Sylvain Chicoine, QC (BBQ Canadian Chicken Sandwich)
• Olivia Chow, ON (Chow-Style BBQ Sandwich)
The winning recipe will be served at the Great Canadian Chicken BBQ in Major’s Hill Park, in Chicken Corner directly behind the Chateau Laurier!
Chicken Farmers of Canada Adds To the Gift
Chicken Farmers of Canada (CFC), in recognition of the large number of MPs that participated in the contest, will be making a further $100 donation per entry received to a food bank in each riding, as chosen by the MP who entered. That’s another $7,200 in prizes to be awarded for a total of over $25,000! That’s help for people in need – the real winners!
CFC, proud National sponsor of Canada Day in the Capital for 20 years, and contest partners, Food Banks Canada, thank all those who entered for their support of such a great cause as the fight against hunger.
Additional sponsors of this contest were Maple Leaf Prime Chicken and The Hill Times newspaper.
- 30 -
For more information: please contact Lisa Bishop-Spencer, Manager of Communications
Here are the 13 semi-finalists for the Everyone Wins With Canadian Chicken contest:
1. Ron Cannan, BC (Kelowna—Lake Country Sunshine Chicken Burger)
2. Maria Mourani, QC (Grilled Chicken Sandwich à la Québécoise)
3. Rona Ambrose, AB (All-Canadian Maple Cheddar Chicken Sandwich)
4. Vic Toews, MB (Pesto Chicken Philly Melt)
5. Gerry Ritz, SK (Cowboy’s Chicken Sandwich)
6. Scott Simms, NL (Key Lime Grilled Chicken on a Ciabatta Roll)
7. Mylène Freeman, QC (POP Sandwich)
8. Costas Menegakis, ON (Greek Chicken Burger)
9. Sylvain Chicoine, QC (BBQ Canadian Chicken Sandwich)
10. Olivia Chow, ON (Chow-Style BBQ Sandwich)
11. Paul Dewar, ON (Zesty Lime Chicken Sandwich)
12. Carolyn Bennett, ON (Chicken Sandwich Mojito)
13. Royal Galipeau, ON (Canuck Grilled Chicken Sandwich)
Since 2007, CFC has been a proud partner and supporter of the food bank in Ottawa, as well. Each year, through proceeds from the Canada Day Great Canadian Chicken Barbecue as well as staff donations, CFC continues to support the mission of the Ottawa Food Bank. Since 2007, over $90,000 has been raised.
CFC is responsible for chicken raised and sold commercially in Canada. We represent our 2,700 farmers, and ensure that the chicken that reaches your table is safe, delicious, and raised to the highest standards.